Saturday 21 July 2012

The School of Artisan Food on the Welbeck Estate And The Wonderful Stichelton Cheese....



"sumptuous cheese that sets a full-flavoured, succulent, complex chain of sensations going in your mouth: fruity and salty, buttery, and earthy, sharp and creamy. Robin Hood never had it so good."

And that’s just how Forbes Life Magazine described Stichelton cheese...

I do have to say, I rather agree...but please read on...

As our Summer rolls gently onward and the produce from the garden increases, then thoughts turn to how best to store all this wondrous bounty.

I make various, jams, jellies, chutneys and fruit liqueurs during the year but felt I may have needed a little refresher on technique so signed up to go on a course at The School of Artisan Food on the Welbeck Estate in North Nottinghamshire. 

 

I had first heard of this place last year when they had a stand at The Abergavenny Food Festival and their cheese- the delicious artisan blue Stichelton- was featured at The Cheese and Bread Tasting Tutorial, which I had the pleasure of attending, led by the charismatic bread maker Tom Herbert (from The Fabulous Baker Brothers shown on television last year) and the larger than life, Todd Trethowan, cheese maker of Gorwydd Caerphilly Cheese. 

Both raved about Stichelton cheese which was first produced in 2006. This creamy blue cheese is Stilton in character but cannot be called a Stilton because it uses unpasteurised milk. Stilton makers chose to use only pasteurised milk following a Listeria scare in the late part of the 20th century and when they were awarded PDO status (Protected Designation of Origin) by the EU in 1996, it was then enshrined that all Stilton cheese had to be made using pasteurised milk.

There were other ‘politics’ which Tom and Todd alluded to but I won’t mention them here...

Luckily some of the original bacteria for making Stilton using unpasteurised milk had been retained and the cheese champion Randolph Hodgson of famous Neal’s Yard Dairy and American cheese maker Joe Schneider, began making Stichelton cheese on the Welbeck estate using milk from a herd of Friesian-Holstein cows that graze on the estate. 

The name ‘Stichelton’ come from the old pronunciation of the village of Stilton as given in The Doomsday Book of 1086, commissioned by William the Conqueror.

Shown below is a nice hunk of creamy succulent Stichelton Cheese together with my freshly baked Sour Dough loaf baked using my new proving basket obtained from the School to give that characteristic ridged appearance.


Anyway, I digress...

Back to Welbeck.

It is a long haul up to north Nottinghamshire from South Wales, so I was very grateful to be able to drive up the day before and stay with good friends in nearby north Leicestershire.  Early next morning, I set off and within the hour was driving in to the magnificent grounds of the Welbeck Estate.


It is vast and despite the signage, I wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction for the Cookery School. A very helpful chap who was walking through the grounds gave me detailed instructions on how to find the School. Later on that day, I met up with him when I popped out very briefly at lunchtime from the cookery course to the Farm Shop to buy my Stichelton cheese and who should be behind the counter but this same helpful chap! I do have to say this is a very good Farm Shop. An excellent range of good cheese and other produce!

And now on to the Cookery Course itself...

I liked the fact that there were only a dozen of us on the course and we worked in pairs and the pace was very relaxed. We had ample space to work in the light and airy space that was once the nineteenth century fire station for the estate. Our tutor was clearly enthusiastic about her subject and easily accessible to ask any questions.
First up, a very delicious and utterly delectable,

 Red Chilli Jam...


This recipe is taken from the given cookery course notes and makes 6 x 227g jars.

Ingredients:

1kg ripe tomatoes-chopped
50g granulated sugar
85ml white wine vinegar
6-10 fresh red chillies-finely chopped
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp tamari sauce
Juice of a lemon

Method:

Add all the ingredients into a large pan.


Cook over a gentle heat for 10-15 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved.

Bring to the boil and then simmer until thick, around 40 minutes.

When the mixture is a thick, jam like consistency, remove from the heat.

Remove any scrum from the surface with a slotted spoon.

Pour into warm, sterile jars and seal.



 This is fantastic and wonderful to pep up a dish and add that extra chilli zing.  I’ve used it subsequently with Fishcakes, BBQ King Prawns and a Mushroom Nut Loaf.

When making it you can vary the warming chilli heat by removing the seeds, however I left them it and the subsequent heat was just moderate for me-but then I am used to chilli!!

Having now made it for myself, I won’t be going back to buying ordinary store bought sweet chilli sauce!


And finally the kittens...


Wilma’s kittens are now three weeks old and are starting to explore more and more around the kitten box. Their final colours are starting to become more apparent.

 In the UK there are 10 recognised Burmese colours, Brown, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, Brown Tortie, Blue Tortie, Chocolate Tortie, Lilac Tortie, Red and Cream. 

All are genetically governed and thus every Burmese breeder needs to know and understand basic colour genetics.

 Wilma, their mum is a Brown, carrying Blue and, I thought, possibly Chocolate. She was mated to a Blue carrying Chocolate and thus the possibilities in her litter could have been Brown, Blue, Chocolate and Lilac.

 Often at birth it can be difficult to tell what the colours are until the kittens are about 4 weeks old.

 Still an experienced breeder can have some inkling before then and thus it seems that Wilma has produced Lilac-the top two shown, Brown-the middle three and Chocolate-the bottom one. Granny, Blue Belle, babysitting is a Blue.

Of course I was after a Blue to keep which is typical...

I really want to keep one that will be up the very exacting standards to show and breed on from.

So I will wait and see if there is one that may just stay...Fingers crossed....

Next time, I will focus on making some delicious Fruit Liqueurs and a rather eccentric Duke and his underground ballroom...

Until then, enjoy your bounty from the garden...




22 comments:

  1. The Red Chili Jam looks just wonderful!!! It's exactly the kind of jam I like, especially with cheese and crackers. And the kittens are just adorable!!! I would want to keep them all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      Thank you so much for stopping by! The Red Chilli Jam is rather addictive...

      Delete
  2. The kittens really are growing up. The scenery you have photographed is just stunning. I love the look of the cheese. And many years ago I used to make a chilli tomato jam - you have reminded me of it. It looks so much like yours. Lovely post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie,

      Glad you liked the post! The Stichelton cheese is delicious-very creamy and succulent!

      Delete
  3. Great post, full of wonderful things — bread, cheese, chili jam... and beautiful kittens! Have taken a look at the cookery school's offerings and hope to visit there someday, and am still waiting for the season's peppers to come in but chili jam's first on the list once they do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments!

      I must admit bread cheese and some chilli jam and I’m a happy bunny...

      Delete
  4. Can I have a slice of bread with a slice of Stichelton Cheese please. Kittens sure are growing up fast, sleeping so peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma,

      You can indeed...but you just need to pop on a plane!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great place and that you had a lovely time. Your jam looks wonderful. The kittens are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind comments!! The kittens are complete timewasters...

      Delete
  6. I am always looking for new pepper recipes... I am going to steal this one.lol Thanks... dusty;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dusty you are always very welcome to use any of the recipes here!

      Delete
  7. aw what a wonderful time you had. that jam sounds delicious! I am baking my own artisan spelt bread today, so excited, I've been neglecting my sourdough starter for so long I'm hoping it still does the job :/ this jam sounds perfect to go with it, so I may just well make it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shu Han,

      Homemade bread is so wonderful-and your spelt sounds so good!!

      Delete
  8. I love the look of that chilli jam! Australia has very few unpasteurised cheeses, in fact I think it was/is illegal (or very difficult to get approval for) to make cheese using anything other than pasteurised milk, or indeed import European cheeses using unpasteurised milk. They are starting to sell unpasteurised milk here but they can't sell it for human consumption so they have to promote as bath milk - most entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,

      Really interesting about unpasteurised cheese in Australia. The topic was actually brought up at the talk that Tom and Todd did-and they had quite a number of things to say on the matter !! Your comment about having to buy unpasteurised milk just bring to mind a big hunky Australian chap who is into making cheese having to pretend he is heavily in to milk baths to get his milk supply to make some illegal unpasteurised cheese!!

      Delete
  9. I adore chilli jam - and will definitely try your recipe - as and when my chillis ripen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,

      I love sweet chilli jam so its great now I have my own homemade supply to keep me going-hope you enjoy it too when your chillies are ready to be used.

      Delete
  10. I am so behind with my reading, I have only just found this post - that bread looks fabulous; the swirls are very effective. As ever, a fascinating post and now I must go and have a slice of bread and cheese..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,

      I know I get hungry too every time I see that photo of the bread and cheese and I posted it!!

      Delete
  11. Hey, GD!
    Sorry I've not been around. I just don't check my Blogspot acct. frequently enough. I've noticed the "Subscribe by email" link and will give that a shot. Hopefully, that will fix things for me.
    It sounds like you found another, interesting class to attend and sight to visit. You really have a knack for finding great ones. And those kittens! I've got a couple more posts to read and if you've included pics within each, those kittens will seem to be growing before my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      No worries about being late in commenting-I understand full well!
      I’m having a ball this year going to all these cookery classes and will keep you updated...

      Kittens are growing and thriving well-has been somewhat busy as I’ve had to step in and help hand feed so just a ‘touch’ tired at the moment...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.